I want you to hate me. That’s one of the reasons I started this blog.
Hate me like Boston Red Sox fans hate Derek Jeter.
Hate me like Ray Rice hates elevator music.
Hate me like some people hate President Barack Obama.
Now that’s a latte hate….
The “Salutte” incident reaffirms what we already know, right? President Obama hates the military, an elitist who drinks Starbucks lattes instead of a real American coffee like Folgers or Sanka. Of course, that contradicts this story about the President’s plan to use the military against U.S. citizens. Then there’s a GOP donor in Alabama telling voters they need to elect a Republican sheriff to protect them when the President suspends the 2016 elections and seizes power. Why will this happen? Well, he’s a Kenyan Muslim who hates America and Israel. He’s a half-white man who hates whites. He’s Robin Hood without Kevin Costner’s bad accent, stealing from the “makers” to give to the “takers.” I’ve heard people call him the “devil” or “antichrist.” He’s not the President, he’s Sasquatch, with the believers constantly trying to catch him on video to prove their myths are true.
As Martin Lawrence said in Boomerang, it’s all “racial,” right? Must be, because no one would make up so many lies and myths about a black man without being racist. Rosie O’Donnell said it on the View, so it must be true.
But I don’t believe it. There’s no way Speaker of the House John Boehner, or Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, or anyone on Capitol Hill could keep that from getting out. Hell, last year a Secret Service agent revealed the President is gay AND a radical Muslim who trades his suit for a tunic when no one is looking. No secret is safe in Washington, DC.
Actually, I think this quote from conservative commentator Ann Coulter in a New York Observer 2007 blog post gives away the real reason: “If we took away women’s right to vote, we’d never have to worry about a Democrat president.” Haters, you don’t hate President Obama for who he is, or what he’s done, but who he REPRESENTS. Yep, you’re mad at me. At your friends and neighbors. The people who voted for him. We went rogue.
Think about it. The Republican Party has always believed in tradition, experience, and succession. And from 1968 to 1992, they won with it. The GOP won five out of six elections with only four candidates–Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan, and George H.W. Bush. All except Ford either ran in the parties’ presidential primaries, or became the actual presidential or vice presidential candidate. All four of them became president.
Then 1992 brought a double whammy. Grunge music. And a good-looking, smooth-talking young Arkansas governor with a sordid private life of inserting but not inhaling. And we liked him. He beat a Republican incumbent. We reelected him. And even after the Monica Lewinsky scandal and the “close but no cigar” impeachment, he’s more popular today than he ever was.
Including that election, Democrats have won five of the last six presidential popular votes. And just think about how much changed since we elected President Obama in 2008:
- 17 states and the District of Columbia passed gay marriage laws, and the courts struck down bans in several others. Before 2008, only Massachusetts and Connecticut allowed it.
- Two states legalized marijuana, with at least six others moving towards it. And many more considering legalizing medical marijuana.
- The passage of the Affordable Care Act, or “Obamacare” puts us on a road to universal health care.
- Women push for abortion rights, equality in pay and contraception, among other things.
- Immigration reform and amnesty for illegals will probably happen, possibly in the next two years.
- Support for climate change/global warming grows.
- Cities and states passed laws to raise the minimum wage.
- Pew Research Center, in a 2011 poll, found 18-29 year olds view socialism more positively than capitalism. It also found atheism is the fastest growing religious group in the country. And a June 2014 poll broke down voters into seven different areas. Three of the groups lean Republican, four lean Democrat.
- More Snookis and JWowws have gotten pregnant under President Obama than under all other presidents COMBINED.
Republicans, I’m sure you look at this list and see the death of America. You’re scared. You’re stressed. You don’t know what do to. I understand that. But President Obama didn’t do this. Those of us who reelected him did. You’re killing the messenger. White, older males and religious voters don’t control elections anymore. Independents, women, minorities, gays, environmentalists, and young people do. And you’re not going to change it with name-calling, bashing the President, or winning the Senate in November.
You change it with acceptance. Stop yelling “socialists” and “racists.” It’s not “homophobes” vs. “gay-lovers.” There’s no “war on religion” or “war on women.” Let’s put an end to it. I want this blog to become a conversation starter. A place to talk about differences yet find common ground. Promote real debate by getting to the root of the problems. Finding solutions acceptable to all. Or at the very least, make you think. I know that’s hard. As American humorist Don Marquis mused, “If you make people think they’re thinking, they’ll love you; but if you really make them think, they’ll hate you.”
Please hate me.